Returning To Writing: Questions For Readers

This is the place to share poetry, art or photography (links to your own websites), etc.

Moderator: lsabino

Postby Mirnus » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:58 am

As Lydia may remember, since nobody else here has been around long enough to recall, I used to write constantly...something you may be able to take away from reading some of the things I post. Indeed, I was even set up to write an adult contemporary/erotica book from the D-C members some years back called "Cross-Examined" which got tossed as I had trouble situating the characters with little to no reference frame. (Lydia supplied the idea and the names...I'm sure she remembers. :P )
Well, I started back into one of my oldest projects, an unnamed story that I had originally started when I was 15 that went under the file name "Torrent." The original work was far from even being 1/4 done and was spanning well over 200 pages.
With adapting it from the original format (it was started as a storyline for a friend going into videogame design), I've changed many of the characters and events thus far. The initial plot is still the same, however already characters have been added and the background of the primary character has changed slightly.
I'm sure that if I were to ever work this through to the end, it would be no less than 6 books all novel length. The outline that I originally made for the story was 11 pages...just the outline...and I barely made it into the second tier (i.e. heading II.) in those original 200 pages.

My questions arose the other night as I was working on it from the point that I had stopped before due to insecurities of how to continue. Since is a completely separate situation than what was in the original, I wasn't sure of how to write it.
The situation involves a relationship with the main protagonist and a new female character and the meeting they have after the event where they were introduced. Needless to say, it's an erotic scene bound to take place more than once in this epic story, especially since it is programmed between several characters in the original.
After speaking to another writer friend of mine about it, he suggested from his experiences to just go into the abstract detail and not go into the direct detail like your average wholly erotic tale.

My questions for you:
1) How do you perceive sections as such in stories that you have read?
2) What extent do you view fantasy novels (in the literary sense...not the erotic) for their necessity for depth?
3) How detailed do you expect a novel to be for maximum enjoyability? (This is often one of my biggest faults as I go too far into detail....something my peers and readers have pointed out to me)
Here comes the rain, another day another storm.
I've been down, down, down for oh, so long. ("Blood Is
I'll walk this mile and I'll ask no quarter, (Thicker Than Water"
For in the end, blood is thicker than water. (-Black Label Society)
Mirnus
omega

Postby .valdiditt. » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:53 pm

i love to read(:
i was actually writing a story as well.
But i like details that way you get a clear picture of what is around them and how this affects how they feel. But once a book spends two pages describing where they are i tend to just scan through. More than a page and a half just kind of bores me. When i am on break i usually read a book a day. The book being about 400-500 pages. I get into them but if every book went into complete detail of a scene i would probably stop reading.
i would love to read your story if you ever need someone to check it.
(:
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
oh lawddd.
its a k again.
.valdiditt.
lamda

Postby Mirnus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:33 am

That's my problem when I read. I tend to go into detail of thinking too much about the book. When I write, however, my details have to be extensive because of the genre I write in and the necessity for depth in the situations. I work hard to no have any plot holes...I read over the last three chapters before I even start writing for the day and try to refresh my memory with a set of basic facts. For example, the main character's middle name was said in passing during chapter 3 in this current work. Later on, in chapter 7 when a medical record is being looked over due to a certain plot device, I unknowingly changed the name until I decided to go back and read through the first few chapters again.
I just worry about what the general audience thinks about the scenes that I have to put into it.
My main concern lies with fight scenes and erotic scenes.
Fight scenes because the general detail required to explain the situation, the emotions of both parties involved, any damage done, etc.
Erotic scenes because one has to teeter on the line of how descriptive it can be without being corny. It's hard to imagine that I'd have trouble writing a scene like that considering that I've written for Literotica before and the things that I write on request for my girlfriend would certainly desensitize me from being nervous about that, but it's a different audience I'm appealing to now.
Here comes the rain, another day another storm.
I've been down, down, down for oh, so long. ("Blood Is
I'll walk this mile and I'll ask no quarter, (Thicker Than Water"
For in the end, blood is thicker than water. (-Black Label Society)
Mirnus
omega

Postby .valdiditt. » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:18 am

So what audience are you trying to reach now?
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
oh lawddd.
its a k again.
.valdiditt.
lamda

Postby BritainKennedy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:57 am

//It's hard to imagine that I'd have trouble writing a scene like that considering that I've written for Literotica before and the things that I write on request for my girlfriend//

o.O

Anyways onto your questions

1) How do you perceive sections as such in stories that you have read?

I'm entirely sure what you mean, I mean, it's completely required in some instances. I personally don't get "awkwarded" out reading about sex and the like, nor do I think anyone of the maturity level I assume you're trying to reach out to should.

2) What extent do you view fantasy novels (in the literary sense...not the erotic) for their necessity for depth?

I agree with you in the fact that there is a very fragile line that you need to teeter on, on one end of it you can show the emotions, feelings, thoughts, just generally how beautiful of a moment it is (assuming that's what it is). Or you could just end up scaring half of your audience away, just re-read it through a few times through the lens of an average person. I'm sure you'll be able to work it out easily.

3) How detailed do you expect a novel to be for maximum enjoyability? (This is often one of my biggest faults as I go too far into detail....something my peers and readers have pointed out to me)

I probably shouldn't answer this because apparently compared to the general public I like WAY too much detail. Maybe it's because I'm stupid and I need everything over explained to me, maybe it's because I'm intelligent and I like to think, I don't know.
Last edited by BritainKennedy on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giving subjective questions objective answers since '93
BritainKennedy
tau

Postby Sunt_eu_fericirea » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:36 am

I just want to read about secks.
I think you should stick to the erotic D-C novel.

el oh el.
Sunt_eu_fericirea

Return to Creative Place