Sports open to all?

Discuss the latest news here!

Moderator: lsabino

Sports open to all?

Postby Liana » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Twenty-five states now allow the rising number of home-schooled students to play sports at public schools with varying restrictions, according to the Home School Legal Defense Association. Alabama and Mississippi are expected to consider similar legislation this year, while Tennessee is deliberating whether to provide wider access to athletics for home-schoolers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/09/sports/virginia-home-schoolers-make-a-play-to-join-high-school-teams.html?pagewanted=1&ref=us

I don't know whether I would even want to play for a public school sports team. I guess I might if there wasn't any other team available to me. It surprises me that twenty five states have made it available to kids who happen to do math in their living room.
"Music is the new Latin. When music is written or played it is a universal language that requires no translation to true musicians." - L-Dawg of Caesarea
Liana
delta

Re: Sports open to all?

Postby brubaie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:49 pm

This is pretty neat! I've heard this referred to as "The Tebow Effect," in honor of Denver Broncos Quarterback Tim Tebow, who was home schooled but played football for a local public high school.
----
Brian Rubaie, Director
brian dot rubaie at ncpa dot org
brubaie
nu

Re: Sports open to all?

Postby Liana » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Oh. That is a good name for it! Yeah, several things have been named for him. :D
"Music is the new Latin. When music is written or played it is a universal language that requires no translation to true musicians." - L-Dawg of Caesarea
Liana
delta

Return to Current Events