We'll know if there's life on Mars by 2012

Discuss the latest news here!

Moderator: lsabino

We'll know if there's life on Mars by 2012

Postby brubaie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:55 pm

http://news.discovery.com/space/life-on ... gn=rssnws1
On Aug. 6, 2012, if all goes well, NASA's Mars Science Laboratory will touch down to tackle a new set of questions about whether there was once life on Mars.

A pair of predecessor rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, as well as a fleet of orbiting spacecraft have laid the groundwork for the mission, amassing an impressive body of evidence for past water on the surface of Mars. Those findings are key, for without water scientists aren't sure life can exist. With water, we know it's possible.
----
Brian Rubaie, Director
brian dot rubaie at ncpa dot org
brubaie
nu

Re: We'll know if there's life on Mars by 2012

Postby Liana » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Do people really think there is life on Mars? Don't you think we would know already if there was? Besides, isn't said that if we (earth) were any closer to the sun or any farther away we would either freeze or burn. Mars obviously isn't in our exact spot, so they are either closer or farther away. I can't remember which. Never could remember all of the planets. Anyways...I think it would be hard for life to survive on Mars. I could be wrong. You never know. It just seems a little far fetched.
"Music is the new Latin. When music is written or played it is a universal language that requires no translation to true musicians." - L-Dawg of Caesarea
Liana
delta

Postby brubaie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Those are all very intelligent points to raise.

I think the big discovery for scientists isn't "intelligent life" but the existence of any other intergalactic species, even amoeba or bacteria. In other words, we certainly won't find mammals but we might find something.

Whether that is worth the cost of discovery is another question. I try to keep an open mind as a researcher but I'm surprised at the level of devotion to our space program, and the outcry that comes with any attempts to reduce it.
----
Brian Rubaie, Director
brubaie
nu

Postby Liana » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Okay. I can go with amoeba and the like that don't really think like mammals. What kind of temperature does an amoeba need to survive? That is a question I would ask myself. Even if it wasn't "intelligent" life you still have to have liveable conditions. Although...I partially take that back. Some microscopic life can survive under severe conditions. So yeah, I can go with micro life on Mars.

Yes it is surprising the level of outcry that comes when we consider shrinking our space activity. I debated partially about space and NASA's shuttle last school year. :)
"Music is the new Latin. When music is written or played it is a universal language that requires no translation to true musicians." - L-Dawg of Caesarea
Liana
delta

Postby brubaie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:21 pm

It'll be an interesting discovery if they find anything! They've been using a rover for about 2 years now to investigate different craters looking for water and signs of life. It will certainly be interesting to see what sorts of creatures, if any, can survive.

I'll keep everyone posted if any new findings arise!
----
Brian Rubaie, Director
brubaie
nu

Return to Current Events